Sofa-so good

There’s actually been a bit of DIY going on here at alifetimeofdiy. I know! Shocker right? The front room which we use as our main room was one of the first ones decorated when we moved in 7 years ago and to be fair it was starting to look shabby.

The floor was replaced a little while ago and is still in good condition so we kept that as it was but the rest of the room needed painting and decorating. 

We also decided it was time to change our beloved settees. We’d had the one since we bought our first house together 14years ago and the other we bought second hand 6 years ago so they have both had good lives. We donated the one back to charity but the other one wasn’t in good enough condition for them so that was disposed of by the council after a few unsuccessful listings on freecycle. 

We bought our new settee in the sale (is there ever not a settee sale going on?) and we love it. It looked massive when it arrived though. It came in two parts and the first half was supposed to be the shorter end. That looked big enough! 


Then they brought in the second half! 


Wow! It seemed to take up most of the space. 

Although it may be because the rest of the room looked like this:

Thankfully it didn’t look like this for long. The room needed to be emptied so that we could finish redecorating. 

We’ve lived with the new settee for about 6 weeks now and we love it. The kids enjoy lounging on it and it’s really comfortable. We are really pleased with it even if it means our savings took a big hit. 

Stay tuned for the big “reveal” post. Please try not to get too excited lol! 

WIP

Over the last few months, hubby and I have been using the time that D is in nursery to try and get a few jobs done around the house. Unfortunately these jobs are taking much longer than originally planned. So while I dream of showing you before and after pics of my lovely new dining room, it’s actually still waiting for a last coat of paint :/

So instead I thought I’d round up all my Works In Progress and put them all in one post!

Let’s start with the kitchen. Our new sink is in and the cupboards have been re arranged to give us a better working kitchen. The cupboard doors need going back on, the radiator needs removing and a small bit of work top installed.

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG
The playroom upstairs has been tidied and treated to some new storage.

IMG_3428.JPG
Let’s not forget the dining room.

IMG_3451.JPG
Almost there but still not quite.

We are getting there slowly. We are decluttering as we go and have already donated a lot to charity shops and passed on to friends. We are being very careful so that unnecessary items do not go to landfill. There is still a lot of work to be done before this house is completely finished but it’s starting to take shape now and I am feeling good about the progress we are making.

I am hoping that it won’t be long before the WIP you see above will be finished and have it’s own post dedicated to it. Until then….

Progress

As I mentioned in this post we have finally made progress with the fireplace. Last week the plaster had finally dried enough for us to paint it. To be honest it only took 2 coats of watered down paint to cover the new plaster as it was so close to the paint colour anyway. It would probably only have taken one coat of paint if we hadn’t been advised to water it down by the plasterer.

So drum roll please…… Ta-da

20130723-080041.jpg
Okay it wasn’t the open fire I had imagined but this is as close as I can get and I think it’s lovely. It does need a bit of colour on the mantlepiece I think but I need a little bit of time to decide how I’m going to achieve that. We have also decided on the hearth but we couldn’t get the size we needed so that will also have to wait. Apart from that I am so pleased with how it has turned out. I think it is quite lovely.

Oh and before I go I’ve got another ta-da to show you. Yes I have finally finished the curtains. Here they are – one of a kind, inexpensive, hand embroidered curtains:

20130723-192239.jpg

Getting somewhere

Wow! It’s been over a year since I mentioned the fireplace last. You can read the first two posts here and here if you missed them the first time around. I’m sure you are all dying to know what’s happened to the fireplace in the last 12 months aren’t you??

First off hubby made the hole bigger. If you remember the hole wasn’t central to the breast so that was rectified. Then he boarded it out. Here it is looking festive (ish) at Christmas.

20130707-090627.jpg
Then it pretty much stayed like that til last month. I was getting pretty fed up with hubby promising to fill the hole at the bottom and plaster it all and then not doing it so I took matters into my own hands. (No I didn’t do it myself I’m afraid!)

20130707-091232.jpg
The house across the road is being completely renovated, so last month, after being challenged to Just Do It – finish a project that has been lingering for a while – I went over and asked the plasterer working there to come and give me a quote.

The quote was reasonable so the following week he came and plastered the fireplace.

20130707-091156.jpg
At the moment we are waiting for the plaster to dry so that we can paint it and put the fire surround back. I have to say its looking pretty good and now it’s starting to dry the plaster almost matches the colour of the paint already there!!

20130707-091532.jpg
Exciting times. I’m hoping to do a proper “ta-da” post by the end of the month. I can’t wait 🙂